Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Tech Discussion > RX-8 (2004 - Present)

RX-8 (2004 - Present) All things to do with RX-8

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 10-12-2009, 12:13 AM   #1
BuLL
The Newbie

BuLL is on a distinguished road
Default Odd electrical problem?

2006 MT, ~6k miles.

About 6 months ago I was cruising along ~40mph, and DSC, TC, & KEY lights came on and the TAC & MPH dropped to 0 all at the same time. Just for a second, then TAC & MPH back to normal, then a bit later to 0 again. Happened two or three times, and the engine was running fine, didn't sputter or miss a beat. After a while the DSC light went out, but the other lights stayed on until I reached my destination.

Over the past 6 months it has happened again 3-4 times. Seems to usually occur on the first start/drive after it has been sitting a while. The other day DSC, TC, & KEY lights came on just a few minutes after starting and then 10 minutes later the TAC & MPH dropped to 0 4-5 times while crusing at 70mph. After I shut off the car and restarted it, everything seemed fine, and it didn't happen again for the rest of the day.

Any ideas?

Old 10-17-2009, 04:45 AM   #2
AzEKnightz
ZooM ZooM!!

AzEKnightz is on a distinguished road

Still have warranty? If so, it might be a DSC module that needs to be program and updated.

I am personally not familiar with rx8s, however I am a BMW tech. Occasionally problems like that occur only when 1) a programming issue which needs software update 2) Something is internally damaged at the DSC module.

If you still have warranty, I would most defintely bring it back to a dealership and have them take a look at it.

Good Luck

-AzEKnightz
AzEKnightz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 03:59 PM   #3
BuLL
The Newbie

BuLL is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the input. Still under warranty, so went ahead and had the dealer check it out. Of course it wouldn't do it for them, so they just printed out the codes and told me to bring it back when it did it again.
C1956 ABS/TCS
C2778 ABS/TCS
U1900 ABS/TCS/EPS/IC
U0073 EPS
U0100 RKE
U0073 PCM
U2516 SASM
Old 10-23-2009, 02:26 AM   #4
speedrx8er
The Newbie

speedrx8er is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuLL View Post
Thanks for the input. Still under warranty, so went ahead and had the dealer check it out. Of course it wouldn't do it for them, so they just printed out the codes and told me to bring it back when it did it again.
C1956 ABS/TCS
C2778 ABS/TCS
U1900 ABS/TCS/EPS/IC
U0073 EPS
U0100 RKE
U0073 PCM
U2516 SASM
Battery?
speedrx8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 01:25 PM   #5
Rotary Related
Good stuff at low prices

Rotary Related is on a distinguished road

I agree with the battery comment. Possibly bad battery connection or a bad ground under the dashboard somewhere that effects all the hardware mentioned. My first guess is a loose battery terminal. If they wiggle at all they arent tight enough. Its common on RX8s that the terminal wont stay tight.

Rotary Related is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:38 PM   #6
willnordacgreen1211
Rotary Fanatic

willnordacgreen1211 is on a distinguished road

i am having a simmilar issue as well. well sorta. it only happens once or twice every three days but im taking it to mazda tomorrow anyway but still what do you guys think. at idle if i do anything electrical mainly turn the steering wheel the lights dim and the morot dies. it actually died once from useing my blinker and turn signal at the same time. and after i do this the dsc light comes on and the "out of control skidding car light" comes on and they both stay on. the batery and alternator are both good. im thinking a relay or something??? plz help so these dicks at mazda dont screw me and say i need this that and the other thing. they are known to do that at the dealer in my town..
willnordacgreen1211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 08:32 PM   #7
lilring
Rotary Man

lilring is on a distinguished road

Will- you know i like like 5 mins from you and can fix this is 5 mins as well.. The problem is the Battery connectors.. Make sure they are clean and really tight.. the OEM connectors really arnt the best
lilring is offline   Reply With Quote