View Single Post
Old 11-09-2009, 01:45 PM   #14
vex
RCC Loves Me Not You

vex will become famous soon enough
Default Step One: Intake

Starting with a regular old engine bay:

You'll need to start breaking out the different parts of the engine bay that you wont need anymore. Such as your snorkle, your air filter box, and a few other things here and there.

Next you'll want to remove your manifolds (both the exhaust and intake).

This would also be a good time to rebuild the engine (It's what I did).

Next we'll focus on creating more room for the turbo by shaving portions of the lower intake manifold:

Then take an aluminum die grinder tool and remove material a little bit at a time

You want to maintain the integrity of the intake cavities, while removing the parts and cavities connected to the valve. This frees up a lot of space and should end up looking something like this:

This will allow for mounting the turbo higher than the oil pan, and eventually a better--more condensed assembly. You also see that large grey dot? That's high temperature metal epoxy. It's there to fill a tap hole that is there for the pressure sensor. You'll need to fill it. Either braze in some aluminum filler, tig weld it (if you're brave enough), or just through some epoxy on it.

At this time you may also want to port the throttle body. But I will not cover it in detail here--there's other threads for that.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote